Meanwhile, Ben was not so quick to let the matter go. Both his parents were aging and he was certain his mother was reaching the end of her life. It hurt him to see his parents estranged frm each other. Ben resolved to talk with his father one more time.
"Hey Dad. Can we talk."
Adrian looked over at his son and recognized the steely determination in Ben's eyes. He sighed inwardly, in some ways Ben was so like him. "OK, shoot" Adrian reluctantly agreed.
"It's about you and Mom. It's been years now since you really spoke to each other. Whatever happened between the two of you, it can't be that bad to destroy everything you had before."
.jpg)
"I told you once before, son. This is not something I want to talk about."
"But Dad, you're hurting everyone by holding this grudge. Mom, me, Byron. Can't you let it go? It's killing me to see you and Mom so unhappy. And look at Byron - he's doing badly at school. Mixing with the wrong crowd. He'll do anything to escape this house and the bad atmosphere."
Adrian was shocked by this reference to Byron. Could his youngest son's bad behavior really be his fault? He hadn't considered the extent that his and Kate's problems had effected the children. Suddenly Adrian felt very old. He'd achieved so much in his life - climbed the corporate ladder, rebuilt the family home, brought up two healthy boys. And here he was letting an event from the past ruin it all. Adrian looked at Ben and wondered how his firstborn son had grown up so fast.
"I'm so sorry, Ben. I'm so, so sorry. I wish I'd never found out about your mother's past."
"Can't you tell me what happened, Dad?"
Adrian hesitated. Perhaps he should confide in Ben. His oldest son stood to inherit the family home and wealth. He should know everything about the legacy he was taking on.
"OK" Adrian said. He paused, wondering where to begin. "You know about the fire and how it destroyed the Quicksilver Estate. Also taking my parents' lives?"
"Yes, of course" Ben replied.
"Well, what you don't know is that your mother was connected to the old estate. In fact she was born here. Her mother was the family housekeeper and cook. Your mother never knew her father. Apparently he took off the moment he found out a baby was on the way. But my parents let your mother and grandmother stay on at the house. They lived in a small cottage on the grounds and your grandmother remained housekeeper and cook."
.jpg)
"Wow..." Ben's mind was working fast, trying to figure out all the implications of his father's surprising news. "You mean Mom is the little girl in that newspaper clipping? And the woman, Mrs Baker, was her mother? My grandmother?"
"Yes, Baker was your mother's real maiden name. Her own mother changed her name after the arson charges against her were dropped."
"Arson? They suspected my grandmother of starting the fire? But why? How?" This was too much information for Ben to handle.
"The fire started in the kitchens. Your grandmother was working there alone at the time. Whether it was an accident or not, she was the only person who could have been responsible for the fire."
"But surely it was an accident?" Ben stared at his Dad, his eyes filled with horror.
"Well yes" Adrian confirmed. "That was what the police determined and they let your grandmother go. But the fact she was arrested in the first place stuck with her. So she changed her name and moved to Riverview. Your mother only came back to Sunset Valley after her own mother passed away."
"So why did Mom come back?"
"To find out the truth. To find me." Adrian's voice betrayed his bitterness.
"Dad, what are you talking about?"
"Your mother deliberately sought a job here with me. She planned it all. Just so that she could return to the Quicksilver Estate."
"But Dad. I don't know what you're saying. Mom loves you. I know she does."
Adrian's eyes were filled with pain. "Does she? I just don't know any more. I just don't know anything. I can't forgive her for lying to me."
"Dad, this must have been a big shock. But you can't let it come between you and Mom. Whatever her motives for coming here, Mom would do anything for you now."
Adrian looked at his son. It was just too painful to talk about this. He shook his head and would say no more.
All that night Adrian pondered Ben's words. The phrase "Mom loves you" played over and over in his head. What was he doing to his family by holding onto this hurt? But why had Kate sought him out all those years ago? Why had she wormed her way into his life? Adrian felt very tired. He was too old to hold onto all this anger. He decided to talk with Kate that evening.
"Kate, I think we should talk", Adrian began hesitantly.
Kate looked up and gently placed the book she was reading on the bedside table.
"Kate... I can't stand this any longer. It's been so long since we've really talked or even held each other."
"I know" Kate replied softly. "But that has been your choice not mine. I've never stopped loving you."
"Then why? Why did you lie to me for so long?" Adrian exploded.
"Oh, Adrian. I'm sorry. If I have one regret in life, it's that I had to keep a secret from you." Kate gazed at Adrian, her face clouded with sorrow and regret. "Yes, I did come here filled with hate and anger. Your family and this estate ruined my mother's life. After she was accused of arson, her life in Sunset Valley was over. Her friends shunned her and she coudn't find work. My mother never recovered from the shame. She died an unhappy and lonely woman. I wanted to see the people who did this to her. I wanted to avenge her. I didn't really have a plan. But when I heard you were living on the family estate again, I applied for a job here as a maid. And then I met you..." Kate's voice trailed off as she recalled the first time she saw Adrian. He had been so handsome and charismatic. It had been impossible not to fall under his spell.
Adrian said nothing. He stared straight ahead, his face impassive.
"Anyway..." Kate continued. "The rest you know."
"Do I? Do I really know? How much of what we had between us was real? And how much was a trick to get closer to me? How can I possibly know, Kate? You lied to me."

"From the moment I met you, it was all real. I loved you then and I love you now. You have to believe me."
Kate looked imploring at her husband. As he gazed back at her, Adrian felt a weight being lifted off his shoulders. He breathed a sigh of relief, letting the anger and bitterness flow out of him. Adrian reached out and took Kate in his arms.
At last, Adrian was at peace. It felt good to release his past demons. "I do believe you" he finally said. "I love you. And I always will."
That night, Adrian was disturbed from his sleep by a chilling breeze blowing across his face. Reluctantly, he shook himself awake and looked around him. He glanced over at Kate, lying next to him. But Kate was no longer there.

Kate had passed on to the next life.
Wow. At least Adrian managed to get past his anger to make up with Kate before it was too late. Great update. I'll definitely look forward to reading more.
ReplyDelete