Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chapter 9 - A Shocking Event

Adrian and Ben did not sleep much that night. They stayed up late talking about Byron. What did he have to do with the drugs world? Why had the police denied him bail? How could they help him? The next day, Ben headed down to the police station to speak with his brother.



"You doing OK, bro?" Ben asked.

Byron looked a mess. His hair was unwashed and his eyes were sunk deep into their sockets. "Yeah, I guess" he replied.

"Look, Byron, you gotta tell me what's going on so that Dad and I can help get you out of here. Dad knows this amazing lawyer. We're gonna do everything we can."

Byron gazed miserably at his elder brother. How could he begin to explain? Ben was so perfect, always doing the right thing. Whereas he... well... Byron knew he had never exactly been the golden child. "I can't tell you, Ben. I'm sorry."

"What d'you mean, you can't tell me!" Ben exploded. "Surely you don't want to stay here. Come on talk to me."

"No, Ben. I can't. If I do, I'm a dead man." As soon as these words were out of his mouth, Byron regretted them.

"A dead man! What are you talking about? Byron, you're scaring me. Please. Tell me what's going on."

Byron shook his head sadly. "The police have told me. The only way I'm getting out of here is if I talk." Byron noted his brother's puzzled expression. "You know - tell the police about the local drugs world. Who my contacts are, how they operate. That sort of thing. They want the big fish. Not some part-time dealer like me."

Ben looked at his brother in amazement. "Oh... so you admit it? You have been dealing drugs? Dad refused to believe it was true. I could hardly believe it myself. How could you have been so stupid?"

"Oh come on, Ben" Byron retorted. "Don't pretend like it's such a big deal. It was nothing. Just a bit here and there to help pay for stuff."

Ben sighed heavily. The situation was worse then he thought. He talked with his brother for a while longer. But nothing would persuade Byron to give the police what they wanted. When vistor's time was up, Ben left the station with a heavy heart.

****


However, Ben and his father did not give up so easily. They sought out Byron's friends, trying to find a way to help him. They knew Byron was not as tough as he pretended and feared that he would not survive long in a prison cell. In desparation, Adrian met up with Bella. He knew Byron had a soft spot for Bella. Perhaps she could succeed where he and Ben had failed.


Bella was shocked when she heard the news.

"Prison? Byron? But that's dreadful."

"I'm sorry to tell you this, my dear. Perhaps I shouldn't have involved you". Adrian looked into Bella's sweet, innocent face. He could see why Byron was so fond of this girl. "I just thought you might like to visit him and perhaps you could try and persuade him to help himself. You see, if he gives the police what they're after then they'll let him come home."

"Of couse I will visit him" Bella replied breathlessly. "Oh poor, Byron. I can't stand to think of him inside that jail."

Adrian smiled at Bella. "Thank you. We appreciate anything you can do for him."

****


Bella was as good as her word. And a few days later, a police car pulled up outside the Quicksilver home.




Byron had come home.

Byron refused to talk about what had happened at the police station and Adrian was so grateful to have his son back that he didn't press him. Bella also remained silent about how she had persuaded Byron to cooperate with the police. But she became a frequent and popular visitor to the Quicksilver house, spending almost as much time with Adrian and Ben as she did with Byron.




****


So life for the Quicksilvers went on. Byron returned to his musical career and Ben focused on his new job as a rookie for the Sunset Llamas. Adrian still worried about his youngest son and often wished his wife was still alive. He missed having someone to share his thoughts with. Byron was even less communicative then he had been before the arrest. He no longer stayed out late, but spent most of his time locked in his room strumming his guitar.

Then the news hit Sunset Valley. Everyone was talking about it - three men had been arrested in a major drugs bust. Ben came home from work and found Adrian glued to the local news station.

"So you've heard the news, Dad." Ben asked.

Adrian looked up from the television, and went over to greet Ben.


"I'm glad you're home, son. I'm worried. Do you think Byron has anything to do with this? He's been silent for weeks and now we hear the Valley's top drug dealers have been arrested."

"I know. I've been thinking the same thing. But we knew something like this would happen sooner or later. And surely it's good news. I mean, that's three less bad guys walking the streets. Right?"

Adrian hesitated. "Maybe... it's just... I know Byron is scared about something."

Ben thought a moment. "I guess they'll want him to testify against these guys at the trial." Ben's upbeat tone changed as the possible implications dawned on him. "Oh, I see what you mean. What if these guys know that Byron is the whistle-blower?"


Adrian didn't answer. There was nothing he could say. Ever since Byron had been released, Adrian had been thinking about what the consequences might be.


****


As the date of the trial crept closer, Byron withdrew deeper into himself. He refused to talk with his family and even Bella couldn't coax a smile out of him. Early one Sunday morning, Adrian was preparing breakfast when he heard the squeal of wheels spinning as a car sped away. Curiously he looked out of the window.

"Byron! Nooo!!!!"


Adrian froze, staring at his son's charred body. Byron's eyes were wide open and his limbs were quivering in pain. Adrian watched as Byron opened his mouth and let out a scream of agony. The sound of his son's terrified voice startled Adrian into action. He grabbed the phone to dial 911 and raced outside. But he was too late.

Adrian stared in horror at the black ashes, all that remained of his youngest son.




****

5 comments:

  1. Sally- this is a phenomenal story! Kudos! One of my new favs. I will be adding a link to this story on my blog. I can't wait til the next chapter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Opi!

    BTW, Byron's death was a complete accident. I was even contemplating having him as the heir instead of Ben. I had this whole storyline planned out, where Byron got this girl pregnant and was forced to marry her. Meanwhile Ben couldn't find love. Anyway, Byron's accidental death (stipid broken teleporter!) changed all that :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you certainly did a good job of using what the game gave you to make a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just read through all of the previous entries and finished with this one. I really want to find out what happens next.

    Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. where do you get the cool hairstyles and clothes (particularly those used for Nina, Dina, Cassandra and Brandi)that you used in your Mystery of bella goth thing? which expansion packs did they come from?

    ReplyDelete